April 13, 2010

favorite mug

your day is like
your favorite mug
you fill it with
the necessary stuff
to survive in this world
those days, let me be
the seasoning
other days, i get to fill it
with your favorite brew
as well as mine
vanilla and chai leaves and
inside jokes
and a dollop of raw honesty
and honey
i will gently blow on your day
when it's too hot
cup my hands to share in the warmth
and fill it with spirits along the way
never will i leave your mug
on the countertop with coffee grounds
at the bottom
for days
don't judge me by my propensity to blast van halen
or how i casually enter the bathroom
to brush my teeth while you're peeing
and not pick up on that unhappy look on your face
judge me instead by how i thread my fingers through the handle of your day
lift your world to my lips
and drink in your story

8 comments:

writermama said...

Mmmm, I love this!

thinkingtoohard said...

Mmmmmmm. Thanks for the sip. Fucking delicious.

Noel said...

This made my eyes cross. In a good way. :)

Ed Pilolla said...

i like the delicious imagery in this one too, and i'm not going to try and out-do it, immediately anyway. i'll go a different direction next, toward playfulness and irreverence, one of my favorite turn-on combos.

Lori said...

I'd like a cup of that.

Unspoken said...

Ed,

I found myself savoring ever last drop of this. Yum. Perfect one to send me. I have often used food or drink in metaphor to talk about a relationship.

If a woman could learn to judge a man based on his ability to do what you wrote below, well, wow. I want to frame this piece, but what would it mean if not written by the writer and framed in vain? Hands down the best thing you have sent me.

"judge me instead by how i thread my fingers through the handle of your day
lift your world to my lips
and drink in your story"
What can I say? Really. Really!

Your blog is a delicious read.

Ed Pilolla said...

thanks, girl:)
having a crappy day. you made me smile.

Anonymous said...

Dang! If you only knew how much I enjoyed this... good to the last drop. ~